Our range of Bygone Selsey Placemats feature a selection of images from over 120 years of local history.
Each placemat in this set of 4 measures 25cmx19cm and features a long lasting high gloss image of Bygone Selsey Bill.
Based at the southern tip of the Manhood Peninsula in West Sussex, Selsey or Seal Island as it was known in Victorian times was once only accessable by ferry.
The Marine Hotel, Selsey once stood on Hillfield road and is now the entrance to Marine Drive.
In 1942 it was hit by a German bouncing bomb but only suffered minor damage. The Marine Hotel was home to American servicemen throughout the duration of the war. Sadly, it was destroyed by fire in 1958.
RNLI Selsey has been operational since 1861. The Lucy Newbon was the second lifeboat to be based at Selsey and became fully operational on 9th in West Sussex. Originally launched from wooden skids on the beach, Lucy Newbon was the first Selsey lifeboat to be launched from a wooden slipway built in 1913, until her replacement in 1919.
In 2011 the station celebrated its 150 years as a continuously active lifeboat station. The occasion was marked by the RNLI by awarding the station as a whole an award on Vellum which recognised the station’s 150 years of dedicated service in the pursuit of saving lives at sea.
Medmerry Mill was built circa 1827, replacing an earlier post mill and was working by wind until 1890. After falling into disrepair, the mill was refitted by Holloway of Shoreham in 1907-08. The mill was working until the early 1920s but unfortunately became derelict by 1928, with all four sails badly damaged.