This Victorian Photochrom image shows Whitby, from West Cliff c.1890’s.
The magnificent ruins of Whitby Abbey dominate the town of Whitby below. The abbey was founded in 657 AD by the Saxon king of Northumbria and abandoned in 867 AD after a Viking attack. The ruins which remain, are the Church of the Benedictine Abbey founded by the Normans and begun in 1220 in the Early English style of Gothic. In 1540 Whitby Abbey was destroyed by Henry VIII, and the abbey buildings fell into ruins. The abbey’s west front was also hit by German naval shelling in 1914.
For more information on Whitby Abbey visit the English Heritage Website.